Green Bean Salad with Almonds
"Shocking" the cooked green beans in ice water prevents them from overcooking, preserving their bright-green color.
• 1/2 cup whole roasted almonds
• 2 tablespoons tamari
• 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
• 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped roughly (optional)
1. Place almonds in a small nonstick saute pan. Lightly toast over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon tamari and stir until the almonds are coated evenly, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and cool. Chop almonds roughly.
2. Prepare a large bowl of ice water. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook beans until crisp-tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Drain the beans and transfer to the bowl of ice water. Remove green beans and drain well.
4. In a large bowl, combine the sesame oil, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and remaining 1 tablespoon of tamari. Add the drained green beans and toss to coat. Garnish with roasted almonds and fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately, while warm.