LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - This recipe is from Francisco "Paco" Serrano , Chef and Owner at La Scala Italian Restaurant .
Brussels Sprouts with Butter, Onions and Almonds
Sprouts are so much better fresh!! They are available in fall from
local farmers. Brussels sprouts harvested after a frost or two are
sweeter and even more delicious so the optimal time to enjoy this dish
is late fall/early winter. They are a staple on my family's Thanksgiving
- 1 lb fresh Brussels Sprouts
- 4-6 Tbsp Butter
- ½ Chopped Onion
- 1 Tsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup toasted slivered Almonds
- Salt and Pepper
brussels sprouts in water or steam it until tender. Be careful that
they are just tender, not mushy. Brussels sprouts are one of those
vegetables that have suffered from generations of overcooking.
- Drain and place them into a bowl with ice water, to keep the color bright green. Let them cool and then cut into halves.
- Sauté onions in a large sauté pan with 2 tbsp of butter until golden.
the brussels sprout halves, 2 tbsp of butter and cook over medium-high
heat until the sprouts have reached the desired cooking.
- While the sprouts are cooking, add salt and pepper to taste. Do not over-cook because the sprouts! Make them fork tender.
from heat, toss in half of the toasted slivered almonds and add lemon
juice. Place into a serving plate and garnish with the rest of the
Giving this recipe a try? Leave a
comment to let us know how it turned out, share a cooking tip, or
suggest a variation on the recipe!